Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Etoufee

A few of you have asked for this recipe, so here it is straight out of my New Orleans cook book. I make the whole recipe if cooking for guests and half if I'm just cooking for our family. Try it, it is amazing!

Etoufee-
2 pounds of meat (I usually do cooked chicken and/or shrimp. Mix it up if you want to)
1 cup oil
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups onions
1/4 cup celery (many times I omit this)
1/3 cup garlic, mashed and minced
2/3 cup green peppers, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 can chicken broth
3 cups water
2 chicken flavored bouillon cubes
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon Tabasco pepper
1 teaspoon fancy paprika

In a large skillet, make roux by stirring oil and flour over slow to medium heat. When roux reaches peanut butter color, add chopped onions, celery, garlic, and green peppers and saute for five minutes. In another skillet (small) melt butter and add tomato paste. Saute paste in butter until smooth and thick, about 5 minutes, and then mix with the roux. Pour in broth, slowly add water with the melted bouillon cubes in it, and balance of seasonings. Cook for 30 minutes. Add crawfish tails (or shrimp or other cooked meat) 5 minutes before serving. Serve with rice.

I'm sure I have a picture of this somewhere. I can't find it now, but when I do the picture will be where these words are now.

Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

YUM!!!! I want some.

Rachel said...

thank you very much!!

Shauna said...

sounds delicious!