Thursday, April 21, 2011

Out of the Woods


The show is done. My legs are very bruised and scraped and I feel like I was hit by a truck. Our last performance was on Monday morning to a group of 700 school children. We only performed the first act. Afterward there was a Q & A and the only question that was asked of me specifically was "how did you make yourself look pregnant?" Other kids wanted to know how makeup changes happened so quickly and why Cinderella was so pretty (awww...) and was it fun for the Baker to stab the wolf.

That was the hardest role I have ever played. By far. And this particular production had many crazy things happening behind the scenes that made it even harder on me. I don't think I ever want to play the Baker's Wife again. But I still would love to play any other role in some other production of Into the Woods sometime.

*******************
I had a dream last night that I got to play Christine Daae in Copperstar's production of The Phantom of the Opera. I was so happy to play a role I have wanted all my life, but they kept changing cast members in the middle of the production and nobody knew what was going on, and they cut the Phantom of the Opera song from the show, and at the end of the first act I looked up and the phantom was being played by an un-costumed woman with a script in her hand. I quit at intermission. Nobody seemed to care, and my friend Anna (who was watching the show and has an amazing voice in real life) stepped in to do my part. I was seething mad, and everything seemed so unfair. And then I woke up.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Sounds like its a good thing that the play is over.... and that you need a break. I hope you get to play one of your dream roles one day. I'm sure you will. You are very good.

Kristy said...

Mom gave me the low-down. I'm glad the play is over and you get a break.

Rachel said...

you did awesome. that set was pretty amazing.

Kristy said...

have a good rest Jamie... and give Asher and Gwen a big hug for me!

Kristy said...

weird... why did my post go under Kristys name... this is your mother speaking

Lori said...

The set looks amazing. I'm glad for you that it's over, i'm sure you were just fantastic as always :) Crazy dreams are always a little disturbing... so was it anna costa in your dream? You are so funny!

jamie hixon said...

Yes, Lori. It was Anna Costa.